Thursday, January 12, 2012

pictureless

i've been blogging for 5 years and have recently started a project to turn this blog into a book so we have a hardcopy to look back on.  as i have been editing it i have loved looking back on memories i have totally forgotten.  in fact, most of my "editing" looks more like me crying while rereading birth stories and baby milestones.

at any rate, this blog is a blessing to my poor memory and i love that we have a record of little and big moments.  i've got to do a better job updating so that my girl's future husbands miss nothing when i make them read the 250 page account of our baby days.

with that said, life has been busy yet the camera hasn't been out since christmas.  that is definitely a record.  in place of pictures, here are some quotes/conversations i don't want to forget.

KINSLEY:  tonight after she read to me (i am still in awe that my girl is reading...who knew a mom could be so proud) she got silly and was showing off her belly.  she then said that she loves the baby in her belly.  we've never talked about the birds and the bees so i innocently questioned her ideas.  she basically explained that she believes all girls are born with tiny grape size babies in their tummies and the babies get bigger and bigger until the mom is ready to have them.  she mentioned that caroline also has a tiny baby in her tummy.  this would have been a perfect opportunity for me to tell her the basic details.   would have been perfect...

HALLIE:   
hallie:  "mom, we say pizza 3 times in that song."
me:  "what song, hal?"
hallie: "the christmas pizza song."
"re-pizza sounding joy"
"re-pizza sounding joy"
try...just try to sing that song from now on without inserting that word.  funny girl.  

in more hallie news, i never would have imagined we would be having self-esteem issues due to hair at the age of 3.  let me begin by saying that hallie has beautiful hair.  she was blessed with tendrils that the north carolina air make sensational.

however, she hates it.  it's not so much the curls as it is the length.   she believes they rob her of having long hair.  most mornings her strategy is to stand on tippy toes while looking over the counter as she wets the brush and slicks back her hair.  she thinks it makes her hair look long and straight.   she can't see that it is still curling up in the back.  picture slicked back sides/top with a curly/puffy back.

the other night she called me with a quivering voice and tears lining her cheeks.   "mommy my hair won't go flat.  i want flat hair like you and kinsley.  please help me make it long."

it's hard seeing my child struggle with something, even something as shallow as hair.  however it's opened the door to conversations about her identity in jesus not in her appearance.  we've been talking about her heart not her hair.   i think it's sinking in because today i overheard her tell kinsley god created her face in the shape of a rectangle.   a strange step in the right direction.


CAROLINE:  last week i had to take her to the doctor to get a booster shot for the flu vaccine.  when we entered the room she immediately remembered she wanted nothing to do with the place.  she buried her face in my shoulder, her body hugged my chest and her fingers gripped my arms.  within seconds, way before the shot, in a sad voice she started repeating, "owwww,  owwww, owwww."

it was so so sad to hear her scared little voice.   what an incredible memory she has.

BEN:  just for fun:
ben:  "where do we keep the frying pans?"
(we've lived here 6 months)

4 comments:

Robin said...

Great stories, Ame! What sweet girlies you have. Makes me miss you :o( And I need to hear about this blog-into-a-book process! I've been considering the same thing. Would love any tips!

Ashley said...

love it

Mandie said...

Hey Amy! I turn my blog into a book each year for my mom and MIL. They LOVE it. I also keep a copy for myself. I love having each book to look through from time to time. I just have to be careful because when the kids visit grandmas' houses they sometimes sit down and read it as well...Let me know if you have any questions...not sure if I can be a help, but maybe?

Sarah said...

repizza the sounding joy, repizza the sounding joy... made me laugh out loud