Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I think he is secretly reading parenting books while I sleep

Over the last couple weeks, Ben has proven that he should be the one staying home caring for the girls. He has always amazed me with his ability to retain information but it usually consists of useless trivia such as knowing every lyric to any 80's TV theme song. Here are some examples of simple conversations we have had recently that show his knowledge base goes deeper than I usually give him credit.

Me: We should ask Dr. Bosley how to clean the belly button.
Ben: This is actually a controversial issue. Some people think you should clean it while others think you should leave the cord alone. To prevent infection, I think we should go around the base of the cord with a cotton-tipped applicator dipped in alcohol.

Me: I just lathered Hallie up in lotion, her skin was so dry.
Ben: I hope you didn't put any on her hands.
Me: Huh? Too late.
Ben: Infants frequently put their fingers in their eyes.

Me: Nursing has been terribly painful lately. I can barely stand it.
Ben: You probably have a clogged milk duct.
Me: Huh?
Ben: Is there a red mark where it hurts?
Me: Who are you?
Ben: You should apply a warm compress several times a day and massage the area around the clogged duct.

Me: Why are you using baking soda to clean the humidifier?
Ben: Baking soda kills the bacteria and mold that can spread into the air if left untreated.

4 comments:

Kari said...

We can totally hear Ben saying all of those things. Good job reinventing the situation!

Nicole said...

I would just like to apologize for my negligence when I watch Kinsley.

I definitely couldn't pass any tests Ben administers. Unless they involve cookie dough and its health benefits.

Dana said...

Can he come to our house?

Sarah said...

Hi, I found your blog through Kari's. She is an old friend from HS. Just had to let you know that this post had me laughing a great deal. So funny!